Sunday, October 19, 2014

No complaints

I announced to the husband on Saturday that I had successfully completed my challenge to go 24 hours without complaining. He joked, "So is everything all happiness and light now?"

Surprisingly, my answer was "Well, sort of . . . yeah."

It started on Facebook (what doesn't?) when a friend posted a something that said "Go 24 hours without complaining. Not even once . . . then watch how your life starts changing." So I shared it on my own timeline Friday at 3:17 p.m. and began my challenge.

I tend to be an optimist and am not much given to complaining. So, I thought, how hard could it be?

I blew it about three hours later. We were at a restaurant and as I sliced the bread, I noticed the woefully inadequate amount of butter we had. Without thinking, I grumbled, "Nice of them to give us enough butter for only half the loaf!" Then cold realization poured over me. I had just voiced a complaint. It was 6:24 p.m. Time to restart the 24-hour clock.

After that, I found myself considering my perception of things around me. When I had to pay a visit to the restaurant's public facilities, I made myself look at what was good about it instead of what was awful about it. This was tough, because my first reaction when I go into a place like that tends to be, "Ewwww!"

Overall, I was surprised at just how little I talked. The whole "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" adage cut way down on my conversation. Complaints went unsaid and I hoped the husband was enjoying the peace and quiet. By later that evening, I was getting better at it and felt a lightening of my spirit and mind.

The longer I went, the easier it became to avoid complaints. When yesterday at 6:24 arrived, I didn't even notice it. It wasn't until sometime after 9:00 that I realized I'd made it.

I've been cultivating the habit of not complaining ever since then, and I feel much better for it. I seem to be doing OK with my speaking. Now to work on my thinking!


No comments: